Thursday, November 18, 2004

Are you up for it?

I want to make a promo for The Daily Update, our student newscast that we tape at the asscrack of dawn. I like editing and producing commercials more than news stories. The news is so serious, and there isn't as much time for creative production or editing. Plus, I can't use David Bowie songs in the news. I need a slogan for this promo. Maybe "Daily Update. It's interesting if you're high," or "Trusted. Respected. Experienced. Not us." Hmmm...

I keep fighting myself on this Halo 2 issue. By issue I mean, "Should I buy an Xbox and get Halo 2?" It seems like such a simple thing, but it's not. Here's a little history of my life with an xbox.

It was the Spring of 2004. I had just finished a tough junior year, and had plans to travel and work over the summer. Before my adventures started, I visited my hometown of Spring, Texas, and rediscovered a game called Halo at Ryan's house. It reminded me of a simpler, easier time sophomore year when we played with people down the hall. I decided to purchase an xbox from Ebay. The deal I found was good. $125, came with some games and an extra controller, I believe. A week after buying it, the seller still hadn't shipped. I contacted him, several times actually, to see when he would. Turns out he was on a business trip, and would send it when he got home. Another week passes and I don't have anything, so again I bug him. Turns out his house burned down while he was away, along with the xbox. True? Who knows, but I got my money back, except by this time I was in Paris for my summer school.

July 2004. Back from Paris. Working a lot at the student center, and have saved up enough money to again afford an xbox. I try to go a little bigger, and up my price range. I'm looking in the 250's, untl I stumble upon a steal. A gem. Too good to be true. An xbox with 38 games, 38 games! for $290 + S&H. And these are good games, too. 2005 sports games, Halo, Spiderman 2, Star Wars, some racing, some action. Virtually every decent game for the xbox. I buy it enthusiastically...and wait. No confirmation from the seller. No shipping info. No returned emails. I get her phone number and leave several messages about reporting her to Ebay, demanding refund etc. Finally, she calls me and says she "sent it last week." It never gets here, and she says UPS says it was lost i the mail. Right. She refunds most of my money, but I'm still out $30.

School has started and I stop thinking about xboxes. Then Halo 2 comes out last week, and I want one again. Tues night Tim and I take off on a spur of the moment excursion to Gamestop. I will buy a new xbox w/Halo 2 and play it til I fail out of school. Gamestop....is out of xboxes. The window display with price tag and a pyramid of Xbox packages had led me to believe otherwise. Bastards....I had to come back and tape, so there was no time to hit up another store.

Maybe it's a sign I shouldn't get an xbox. When I think about the money, and the distraction it will be in this last month of school, I don't want to buy one. But man, I sure do want to play a new game. And Halo 2 looks fun. And Tim has provided this apartment with lots and lots of video games. Shouldn't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home